September 9, 2013
Posted by on
This morning I received an email from Snom indicating the BToE beta has gone public.
The following are the steps I used to install snomXXX-UC-184.108.40.206309090236 firmware on my 821 Snom phone and pair using Better Together over Ethernet (BToE) with Lync 2013 client on Windows 8. Note: 821 was previously configured to register to Lync 2013 Server via Edge with my user account.
- Install Beta firmware using the phone’s admin page.
- Install BToE application on PC
- Configure feature key on phone for Pairing. Format: Action URL –
- Set BToE_client_host using a web browser and a special HTTP Get request. format: https://phoneIP/dummy.htm?settings=save&btoe_client_host=PCIPaddress
- Pairing Process, Run the Command Prompt as Administrator and run the “BteUrbDrMgr.exe” for the correct OS version (32/64bit).
Press the BToE feature key on the phone and a PIN code is given to enter on the PC.
- 821 now available as a primary device in the Lync client
- Pairing doesn’t require PC to be plugged into Phone, big for VDI and Remote Desktop scenarios.
- Command prompt running BteUrbDrMgr.exe must remain open or pairing disconnects.
September 6, 2013
Posted by on
After seeing a tweet from Jeff Schertz about UCS 5.0.0 being available, I figured it was a good time to give it a try.
The following are the steps I used to install UCS 5.0.0 on a VVX 600 and pair using Better Together over Ethernet (BToE) with Lync 2013 client on Windows 8. Note: VVX 600 was previously configured to register to Lync 2013 Server via Edge with my user account.
Jeff Schertz has a great blog talking about updated firmware on Polycom phones: http://blog.schertz.name/2012/10/updating-polycom-sip-phone/
- Found the device IP from the phone: “Home” button, “Settings”, “Status”, “Network”, “TCP/IP Paramerters”, “IP: X.X.X.X”
- Accessed the Web Administration page using a web browser: https://X.X.X.X
- Login as Admin using default password “456”
- Backed up phone
- Software Upgrade – Polycom Hosted Server
Polycom’s Hosted server doesn’t contain UCS 5.0.0, time to go Custom Server.
- Software Upgrade – Custom Server
- Install BToE Application
- Connect PC to PC port on VVX
- Run BToE Connector matching OS
- Reboot PC
- Launch BToE Connector (new icon on desktop)
- Error due to Active media running on PC, unplugged Plantronics P820-M
- Launched BToE Connector again, no error. Didn’t mind the Logitech BCC950 still connected.
- Enable Pairing from device: “Home” button, “Settings”, “Features”, “BToE”, BToE (Disabled), Select “Enabled”, “Back” button, “BToE Pairing Status” , press “Pair”. Message – “Successfully Paired”
- PC installs driver
- VVX Phone is shown as Primary Device in Lync
- Incoming/Outgoing calls to the VVX controlled by PC or device
- Lync Status Menu via Web Admin page Update: 9/7/2013